- Coyotes are found throughout Ottawa. We see them more often during the winter due to mating season, and the loss of vegetation
- Diet – 60-80% rodents, small mammals, carrion; also eat fish, eggs, fruits, nuts, vegetation.
- Keystone species – removing carrion from the ecosystem
- Other Adults including older siblings help raise pups
- They make for healthier populations; they control populations and support biodiversity.
- 2 coyotes can sound like a chorus – it is an auditory illusion (Beau Geste Effect).
- The eastern coyote is a wild North American canine hybrid with both coyote and wolf parentage. The hybridization likely first occurred in the Great Lakes region, as western coyotes moved east. It was first noticed during the early 1930s to the late 1940s, and likely originated in the aftermath of the extirpation of the gray wolf in southeastern Ontario, Labrador and Quebec, thus allowing coyotes to colonize the former wolf ranges, and mix with the remnant wolf populations.